Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What is Funny?

I recently produced some TV commercials for a long time (and favorite) client, and for some reason they just aren't clicking. The concept, which we came up with together, is funny. At least, I think it's funny. But for some reason, it just isn't gelling the way I'd hoped it would, and I'm not sure why. It's frustrating, but it does happen sometimes. Without getting too specific, the idea involves using the client's product/service in a ridiculous way, and then providing resolution by showcasing the proper use and all the benefits. On paper, and in theory, the ridiculous humor was really funny. In execution, it's just not as crisp. I'm wondering whether we are just not taking the right approach, so I did some homework.

I was looking for examples of well-executed ridiculous humor, and I found this clip. It's childish, but it cracks me up - and it's exactly the type of comedy I was aiming for, because the concept ("Waiters Who Are Nauseated By Food") is so... ridiculous.

So ultimately, I'm not posting this for any other reason than it's funny, and I thought you'd enjoy it. I'm still working through my own comedy-related issue. If the ads work out, maybe I'll post them, too.

One of the rules of comedy is that a person finds humor in situations where he or she feels superior. That is perfectly exemplified by this prank from Australian TV. It completely cracked me up, although if I were one of the passengers waiting to board that particular flight I might not have seen the humor. It's all in your perspective, I guess.


CM

1 comment:

Laura said...

you are just psycho. :)

when I first read the title of the first clip, I thought it said, "Walruses who are nauseated by food." so imagine my wondering when the clip started.

:)
L