Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Truth In Advertising

Happy New Year! I've been light on posting during the holidaze, but Tube's back in full swing.

While I'm generally an optimist, I do harbor a strong inner cynic. Most of the time, that cynicism is focused on advertising. After working on commercials for so many years, I've found that while there is a great deal of truth in advertising, it's usually present because there'd be some type of legal consequences if it wasn't. That said, these commercials for Volkswagen had lots of people talking earlier this year. They definitely make a statement about auto safety, and more effectively (in my opinion) than this for Mercedes or these classics from the US Department of Transportation. I mentioned in a previous post that I bought a new car this year - a Volkswagen - and I was partially sold on the crash test rating for the car.

A couple of days before Christmas, I found out firsthand that there is truth in advertising, when my Volkswagen Beetle was nearly flattened by a dump truck on the highway. The car took the impact remarkably well, and even though it had to be taken away on a flatbed, both me and my passenger escaped without serious injury. The scenario was scarily like those depicted in the commercials: everything is fine, and then you're blindsided. Believe it or not, I really did think of those ads as I surveyed the damage from the side of the road.

So I'm counting my blessings at the start of 2007, and I'm looking forward to casting a (somewhat) less cynical eye on this year's media offerings.


CM

1 comment:

Laura said...

golly that VW ad is creepy.

so glad you and Elaine were safe....

Laura