Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Information Overload

I've been bombarded with so much new information in the last couple of days, I don't even know where to begin. Each time I read something new, I think, "That'd be good for the blog." I have no idea how to string them all together, though - so here's a laundry list:
  • Remember this post about D.I.Y. music videos? I've found a new one! This time it's a homemade music video recorded on (gah!) cell phones. The article also mentions a previous effort in this area by the Beastie Boys (caution, may be NSFW).
  • I often post about the emerging new venues for video - and the market is indeed exploding - but interestingly there has been a lot in the news lately about the role of conventional TV (by "conventional", I mean "TV as decor", which can include not just regular TVs but also new, HDTVs, too.) There was this article, which turns the tables in a sense by discussing how to get web videos into your living room.
  • In related news, Apple introduced (apple)tv today. While it's been a little overshadowed in the press by the simultaneous introduction of the long-awaited iPhone, I think (apple)tv is a neat idea. What I find intriguing is that it's not really a new concept. Microsoft has offered Media Center for a while now. My friend Peter has demo'd a Media Center PC for me, and they're really neat. But for some reason, it just seems that Apple can integrate its products into people's everyday lives in a way that other manufacturers just don't. Think different, indeed.
  • Finally, Net Neutrality is back in the news, somewhat sooner than expected. (I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the Democrats' self-imposed 100 hours of legislative progress, but I'm not going to discuss politics.) If you're not familiar with the issue of Net Neutrality, I recommend that you click on the link. It's an interesting topic, and as consumers it does affect all of us. As a video producer, I feel just the tiniest bit torn on the issue (ensuring that my work has the optimum venue, placement and bandwidth, even if it comes at a price, has an appeal for me), but overall I support it and the freedom(s) it protects.

CM

1 comment:

Jim said...

Has anyone seen my squid?