Sunday, October 29, 2006

Most Excellent Ads

Before launching Tube full-time, I worked for nearly 15 years creating local television commercials, as did Rich for nearly a decade. I think that it's because of that career that I came to appreciate the art of advertising (and it can be an artform), and I absolutely love clever and well-conceived advertising.

I also think that, hands down, some of the world's best televison advertising comes from the U.K. For me, humor is absolutely key, and if an ad can't be especially unique or different in technology or technique, in order to grab me it must be funny.

I thought at first that this was a U.S. spot, because it has a very "American" look and feel, until I noticed that the car was right-hand drive.


This one is a little harsh, but it still makes me laugh. For anyone wondering, yes, I do have a rather sick sense of humor. Sometimes.


This spot isn't so much funny as... awe inspiring. When you hear anyone talk about "viral video" (fast becoming an over-used buzzword), this promotional piece gets it absolutely right. It's the sort of video that makes you wonder, "How did they do that?" From what I understand, this was done in real time and is totally mechanical, with no digital special effects. Cool.


Finally, this one is not British, nor is it a car commercial, but it's still pretty funny. I can't help thinking, though, that it somehow would've been funnier if it had been British... they just do this sort of thing better than the Yanks.



CM

1 comment:

Laura said...

love it! that's my time waster for the morning. :)
Laura
@}-->--